The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) specifies minimum Medical Loss Ratios for health plans. HHS has recently released final regulations on the matter, so I asked Bonnie Washington, Senior Vice President at Avalere Health, to shed some light on the topic in this podcast interview.
We cover a variety of areas including:
- What the definition of a Medical Loss Ratio is, and where the controversy lies in the definition
- What PPACA specifies about MLR for various size plans
- Why some states have applied for waivers from the MLR rules and whether their applications were justified
- How health plans and brokers are reacting
- Whether MLR rules are sound public policy
There was a problem with the original audio file. It’s been repaired now.