When a health care story dominates the mainstream news I hesitate to cover it on the blog, since it’s hard to add much that’s new. But when Avalere Health CEO Dan Mendelson –one of the most knowledgeable experts on health policy– agreed to speak with me I changed my mind.
In this podcast interview we focus on several of the more interesting aspects of the decision, including:
- An explanation of the ruling on Medicaid expansion, and its practical implications
- The challenges states face in addressing patients who are dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare
- How employers will face up to the so-called “Cadillac tax” and the tradeoffs involved in putting employees into the insurance exchanges
- What leeway states will have to experiment
- How health care will be framed for the upcoming Presidential and Congressional elections